Temperatures are rising, and yet you still don’t have an air conditioning system. Or worse, you already have air conditioning, but the recent utility bills are putting you under strain. A bigger, more powerful, and more efficient AC system might seem like the best way to go. But before making any quick decisions—whether it’s to install a new system or to replace your current one—let’s go through the best options for air conditioning in Portsmouth, VA.
What Makes a Good Air Conditioning System?
First, let’s take a look at some of the biggest factors a homeowner needs to consider when it comes to AC installation.
- Bigger isn’t better: The wrong sized unit runs the risk of over or underperforming in your house. This will directly affect your efficiency and drive up costs.
- Your home: When it comes down to it, it’s all about getting a system that works best with your home. For example, a sleek, ductless system might not be the best choice for you if your home is already equipped with ducts.
- Lifestyle: Are you thinking of transitioning to solar energy? How many more years do you plan to live in your current home? These are costly questions to consider when you want to install certain kinds of air conditioning systems.
Popular Options for Air Conditioning
- Heat Pumps: More expensive up front, but for a good reason. Heat pumps can heat and cool the air simply by reversing the flow of refrigerant. This makes them versatile units all year ’round. As an added bonus, they tend to cost less in the long run.
- Geothermal Heating and Cooling: In terms of efficiency and longevity, geothermal is the way to go, with its components lasting from 25 to 50 years. Geothermal systems are similar to air-source heat pumps, but with one key difference: they transfer heat to and from the ground. When summer hits, the system will disperse the heat removed from the air through the earth.
- Ductless Air Conditioning: What makes ductless systems stand out is all in the name. You won’t need a system of ducts installed in your home to run this type of system. They’re perfect for older homes without duct systems or for homes with newly added rooms.
- Solar Air Conditioners: You’ve probably heard it a hundred times, but it’s true: going solar can save you big. Not only that, but a solar energy setup can benefit the rest of your home. For many homeowners, starting with the air conditioning is the most comfortable place to make the transition to solar.
So What’s the Best Option?
The short answer is this: It all depends on you. Even the most efficient systems won’t be the best fit for some homes. The above options can help you get closer to it, but in the end, you’ll need to work with a professional. Only a professional can assess your home and recommend the best treatment.
House Call Company is improving lives by improving homes. We’ll help you find the right air conditioning in Portsmouth VA. Contact us today.