Skip navigation

Serving Chesapeake and The Greater Hampton Roads Area

Serving Chesapeake and The Greater Hampton Roads Area

Mon-Sat: 8am-9pm | Sun: Noon-6pm | 24/7 Emergency Service

757-394-3403

Menu

Do You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

shot of a carbon monoxide

The carbon monoxide detector is one of the most underrated electrical appliances in our industry. So many homes in our area use gas furnaces because they’re the most reliable and affordable heater in America, that it goes without saying a carbon monoxide detector should be in every home with a furnace.

The truth of the matter is, however, not nearly enough carbon monoxide detectors are in homes that use natural gas. Unfortunately, the Center of Disease Control and Prevention states that 430 people die in the US each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, and a more staggering 50,000 people visit the emergency room due to the same symptoms. Since our industry sees many gas-powered heating devices, it’s not surprising that most electricians in Chesapeake, VA will tell you just how important these devices can be.

So, if you didn’t think you needed a carbon monoxide detector before, we hope you reconsider and keep reading.

Smell Is Not Enough

Many homeowners believe they don’t need a carbon monoxide detector because they think it smells, but that is absolutely not true. While natural gas has mercaptan added, a chemical that gives it the rotten-egg odor we’re used to, carbon monoxide is completely odorless. This myth is reckless and dangerous because it gives the impression that an alert homeowner can tell when carbon monoxide is leaking through their home. Though, as we’ve explained, even the most vigilant person can be poisoned by CO.

Any and All Heating Appliances

It’s not just gas-powered furnaces that can be the target with a carbon monoxide detector. Any gas water heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, gas stoves, gas dryers, or automobiles also produce carbon monoxide on a fairly regular basis. These detectors can warn you when any of these appliances are not performing correctly, which can be life-saving.

The Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide

Still need convincing? Carbon monoxide poisoning can be serious and can interrupt your life with, at minimum, a severe inconvenience. There are several symptoms that can occur when breathing in carbon monoxide, and based on the statistics we mentioned earlier, these happen to be fairly common in the United States.

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Eye and throat irritation
  • Fatigue
  • Respiratory Problems
  • Blisters
  • Loss of Muscle Control

There are others we could mention, but these are the most common and easiest to spot symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Verdict

We understand that not everyone is going to need a carbon monoxide detector. If you’re the rare example of someone who uses geothermal heat and doesn’t own a car or a water heater, then sure—a CO detector isn’t for you. However, if you’re like the huge majority of Americans who use a gas furnace, keep your car in your garage, run a gas water heater, or any other fuel-burning heat system, then we implore you to look into protecting yourself with a carbon monoxide detector.

Our electricians can install them quickly and affordably, and their upkeep is next to nothing (aside from yearly maintenance and some extra batteries when they run low). That’s quite a low price to pay for peace of mind!

Let the electricians at the House Call Company install a CO detector today! Contact us and see how we can make you smile.

Comments are closed.