Skip navigation

Serving Chesapeake and The Greater Hampton Roads Area

Serving Chesapeake and The Greater Hampton Roads Area

Mon-Sat: 8am-9pm | Sun: Noon-6pm | 24/7 Emergency Service

757-394-3403

Menu

Protect Yourself From Carbon Monoxide This Heating Season

During the winter season, you are going to be very thankful that you have a heating system capable of keeping your living environment warm and comfortable. Just remember that your heating system must be operating properly in order to operate safely. One potential hazard of combustion-based heating systems is carbon monoxide exposure. 

Modern heating systems are more reliable and safer now than ever before. That doesn’t mean that they are perfect, however. No mechanical system can truly make that claim. That is why you need dependable carbon monoxide detectors.

What Makes Carbon Monoxide So Dangerous?

Carbon monoxide is a gas generated by the incomplete combustion of many fuel sources, including oil, gas, wood, charcoal, etc. Now, you may have smelled the odor of natural gas before, which is distinct in its sulfuric, rotten egg-like characteristics. Unlike natural gas, however, carbon monoxide does not have an odor (and, in fact, that sulfuric scent of natural gas is due to an additive designed as a safety precaution).

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion, however, not a fuel source, so a warning odor cannot be added to it. That complicates matters of detection, as does the fact that CO also has no taste or color. That means that we, as human beings, are unable to detect it on our own.

Because carbon monoxide poisoning, if severe enough, can prove fatal, it is necessary to have CO detectors installed throughout your home. They must be installed in all living spaces, and are especially important in sleeping areas. Low level symptoms may resemble the flu, with body pains, headaches, and nausea. As exposure levels increase and spread out over time, these symptoms will get more severe: vomiting, disorientation, dizziness, and so on. You don’t want to wait for symptoms to develop just to recognize that you are dealing with a leak. That is why you should hire House Call Company in Suffolk, VA to install your carbon monoxide detectors.

Contact us and see how we can make you smile.

Comments are closed.